We have received new guidance from the Desert Southwest Conference in light of new CDC rules for gatherings, masks, and Social Distancing.
Beginning with worship this Sunday, May 30th, those who are fully vaccinated (2 weeks since your single-shot J&J or your 2nd shot of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines) may worship without masks and are not required to maintain specific social distance. This is at the individual’s option and if you are more comfortable continuing to wear a mask, please do so. We will not ask for proof of your vaccination, but in the spirit of Do No Harm you would honor our protocol. We request that you seat yourself to the East side of the aisle in front of the permanent pulpit (towards the sound booth) and use the east and center doors from the patio or the direct entry in the Southwest corner of the Sanctuary opposite the Medical Building.
If you are not vaccinated as described above, you must wear your mask and maintain a social distance of 6″ from unrelated people. We would ask that you enter through the patio door at the west rear of the Sanctuary and seat yourself west-most section.
We will no longer be performing temperature checks. By attending you are asserting that you are not experiencing any symptoms of the disease; if you are you should join us in worship online.
We want you all to know that we are evolving the protocols for in-person worship. With our attendance seeing it’s typical seasonal decline, we will start reducing the ominous barriers that might affect peoples’ spirits. This Sunday we will remove the ribbons that divide pews but retain those that block whole pews, mostly every other pew. This will orient ourselves to practicing personal responsibility in maintaining the 6’social distance as you are seated. If all goes orderly, we plan to remove all of the ribbons for worship beginning on May 9th. Further, we will target June 6 to cease temperature checks, as outside temps will start being high enough to easily cause a person’s body temp to exceed 100° after walking from the parking lots. We emphasis that you should worship remotely if you don’t feel well. We will set up a sign in/check in procedure for recording attendance, and contact tracing if necessary.We will have to continue the mask requirement, as guidance suggests we need 25′ distancing for singing; we will address this protocol as CDC Guidelines evolve.As always, your support and cooperation are needed to get us through these times with our health and allow continued adjustments to the protocols.
In Person Worship Protocols
As you know, we plan to resume In-Person Worship This Sundy, Palm Sunday March 28th at 9:30 am.
It is important that we inform you, the members of Velda Rose UMC, of the plans and processes that we have put in place for your safety. All parts of the plan were developed to create a worship experience that is “clean, safe, and mindful of health needs and issues with a non-touch experience”.
The purpose of this Protocol Sheet is convey information from the Reopening Committee is to let you know these things:
· Our style of worship will not be as you normally experience. We will continue to practice social distancing, wearing masks, and disinfecting our worship spaces as required by the guidelines of the United Methodist Church, the CDC, and state and local entities.
· It is your choice to return to in-person worship. If you have respiratory or immune system issues, we recommend that you delay returning until we have several services to shake out our processes. We will continue to record and livestream our services even as we return to worship in church. Our return to a semblance of normality will be a process.
Therefore, we will require:
1) Completing a temperature check and health screening. Entry to the Sanctuary is thru the Library or the door in the SW corner opposite the medical building where these screenings will take place.
2) Maintain a Social distance of 6 feet from those not in your immediate family
3) The wearing of masks during worship. If you are unable to wear one, we recommend you continue to worship remotely.
4) No Hugging, hand shaking or touching.
5) We will sing and have responsive and group liturgy. Masks need to remain in place.
Please note: neither the church buses nor the golf cart will be operating
Meanwhile, we thank each of you for your continued support of the ministry of Velda Rose. Your on-line presence, prayers, giving, and personal witness continue to sustain your faith community day by day.
May God bless you richly in the days ahead!
Pastor Larry R. Norris
Pastor Daniel Gomez
Re-Opening Committee of Velda Rose UMC
Due to the uncertainty of the future impact of the COVID19 pandemic, the October 22-24, 2020 Rummage Sale has been postponed. A decision on rescheduling will be determined when we can safely hold our sale in compliance with all requirements placed by authorities. We are still accepting donations.
Here is the online version of the Vision Newsletter. Apologies for the late posting due to disruption of the office routine caused by the Covid-19 closure.
To the Velda Rose Community
As we go through a period of suspended church services, it is important for us to continue to remember the faithfulness of the Lord by returning our tithes and offerings. God is always faithful to His word and it is through giving that we express our love to Him and continue to move His work forward. Hebrews 10:23 NRSV says: “ Let us hold fast to the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who has promised is faithful.”
Even after the current crisis is over, giving electronically is free of the risks of handling cash and checks, as well as collection plate itself. Since we will not be meeting together as a church for a while, below are instructions as to how we can give electronically.
HOW DOES A WORSHIPER SIGN UP FOR PushPay?
Signing up with PushPay offers several fairly simple processes.
- If you have a Smartphone and know how to Text, simply type veldaroseumc and send it to 77977. You will be taken to a place to give a single gift, or set up an account and define regular custom giving.
- Go to our website http://veldarose.org/connect/give/ and follow the link “$ Electronic Giving”
- Get our App on your Iphone or Android device – search, in the App or Play Store, “Velda Rose” and download the app – this will also give you other features include real time news and announcements
- If you are unable to do any of these methods on your own, call our office and we will get what we need from you to make this happen.
WE ALSO CAN ACCEPT DONATIONS ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE
- Go to https://www.facebook.com/veldaroseumc/ and a Donate Now Button appears right below our Cover Photo.
- You may then pay with a credit or debit card, or with an electronic check.
Thank you for your continued support through these times.
Greetings to all members and friends of Velda Rose United Methodist Church!
To say that we are living in an unprecedented period is more than an understatement. We are encountering a time that is challenging us to make hard decisions that we have never had to make before.
The worst thing that we can do is to make no decisions at all, or make decisions
that are so arbitrary that they become meaningless. The leadership at Velda Rose has listened carefully to local, state, and national updates and recommendations regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. We have also received advice from you, our parishioners, and have consulted with our District Superintendent and other conference leaders.
Churches may respond in various ways, but in light of the fact that we serve the
most vulnerable population group to the coronavirus, those above sixty-five years
of age, and host relatively large worship services and congregational events, we
have made the following decisions.
- All activities and events on the campus of Velda Rose UMC will be
cancelled until further notice.
- This closure includes weekly worship, Bible studies, circle meetings, choral
and bell practices, committee meetings, and rummage activities.
- This closure also applies to all other outside groups or community activities
that use our facilities.
- We ask that, if you have attended any event or activity at Velda Rose UMC
and have tested positive for the coronavirus, that you notify one of your
pastors or the office as soon as possible. All information will be held in
We realize that this decision will be challenging in many ways. Nonetheless, your
pastors will continue to reach out in ministry through a weekly livestream service on Sunday mornings at 9:30 a.m., accessible on the Velda Rose website (www.veldarose.org), or on Facebook. We are also planning to do a midweek devotional outreach, whose final form and delivery is yet to be established.
Your pastors will be available by email and by telephone. The front office will be closed, but all staff, including pastors, will be on site daily during normal office hours. We will take messages and respond to pastoral concerns and issues.
In this time of self-imposed social distancing, your pastors and staff will continue
to prepare and plan for Palm Sunday, Holy Week, and Easter Sunday, as well as
the months ahead. In the event that special days and events need to be cancelled,
we will do our best to bring them to you through other forms of communication.
Finally, we thank you for your faithfulness. You are a wonderfully devoted and loyal congregation, and your sustained giving is crucial during this time. The church will maintain all financial obligations regarding personnel and building expenses during the closure.
Please remember that you can bring your tithes and contributions to the office, mail them to the church, or give electronically. If needed, our office staff is available to provide assistance with electronic giving.
Above all else, remember that no matter where or how we meet, in good times or in difficult times, that we are the church. Christ is our Great Shepherd and He will continue to lead us as we move into the future.
May God’s richest blessing be upon each and every one of you in the days ahead.